VRWC Results - Winter Season 2017
The Winter Season occurs between April and September and covers
Australian winter. Conditions are generally superb for road walking with
mild winter temperatures, fast courses and lots of competition for all
CASTLEMAINE NAB 500, CASTLEMAINE, SUNDAY 9 APRIL 2017
Victorian Race Walking Club and Events in Nature combined to put on the
third annual Castlemaine NAB 500 Walks Meet in Castlemaine, in country
Victoria, last Sunday morning. Held in the beautiful surrounds of the
Castlemaine Botanical Gardens and strongly supported by local
Castlemaine business and local government, it again provided a unique
opportunity for our walkers to compete for significant prize money.
While the previous two editions of this race were held in sunshine,
this year we were unlucky enough to encounter one of the worst weekends
seen in Victoria for some time. Thankfully the rain held off until just
before our final event, the Castlemaine NAB 5km, but it then settled in
for the rest of the day, with the race and the subsequent presentations
and post-event cleanup, all done in very wet and cold conditions. Oh
well, you can’t have everything.
Being country based, the carnival drew mostly from the Ballarat,
Bendigo and Geelong areas but also included a sprinking of Melbourne
based walkers. The format changed this year with the 3km and 5km raaces
being handicap based, with the fastest walkers in each race heading off
last and having to chase. It made for some very exciting races but,
alas, despite the best intentions of the handicapper (me!), the
outmarkers generally prevailed.
Well done to our winners Mackayla Davison, Albin Hess, Scott Peart, Madison Vaughan and Ebony Whiley.
Although all the races were exciting, the finish of the Open 5km had us
all on the edge of our seats. Although Ebony Whiley, walking over a
minute faster than recent form would indicate possible, had the win
sewn up, the second place was up for grabs with Pramesh Prasad, Adam Garganis and Rhydian Cowley
all in the mix. It came down to a final rush for the line with Rhydian
eating into Pramesh’s lead with every stride but just failing by a
couple of metres in overhauling him. What a race!
U18 3KM ROADWALK EXPECTED START TIME ACTUAL TIME
1. Davison, Mackayla
2. Thompson, Eliza
22:50 First ever
3. Saunder, Fraser 16:30 06:30 16:44
4. Thompson, Will
5. Peart, Alanna
6. Peart, Jemma
14:30 08:30 DNS
EXPECTED START TIME ACTUAL TIME
02:30 19:28 PB
2. Keirl, Bernie
3. Barrow, Geoff
4. Carr, Heather
5. Lotherington, Bill 21:30 01:30 22:00
6. Elms, Donna-Marie 17:50 05:10 18:27
7. Bryant, Barb
17:10 05:50 17:56
18:30 04:30 19:30
U12 1KM BOYS
05:31 PB 0:03
2. Tallent, Brodie 05:35 PB 0:15
05:57 PB 0:01
U12 1KM GIRLS
1. Vaughan, Maddison 06:14 PB
2. Tallent, Jorja 06:46 PB 0:01
Fox, Amber DNS
Heikkila-Dubowik, Kaylah DNS
EXPECTED START TIME ACTUAL TIME
31:30 00:00 30:07
24:07 07:23 23:59
20:15 11:15 20:08
21:20 10:10 21:50
25:10 06:20 DNS
And now to the big list of thank you’s.
- Thanks to Michael Smith for his superb local organization and efforts in pulling everything together.
- Thanks to the VRWC judges who came up and helped out judging.
- Thanks to everyone who helped with setup, event running and pulldown in the rain.
- Thanks to Harry Koponen of the Castlemaine NAB bank for his ongoing support and presence today.
Thanks to the Mount Alexander Shire for their generous support, both
financial and otherwise (and for the use of the botanical gardens).
- Thanks to Peter Grant at the Castlemaine Bike Vault for his generous sponsorship.
- Thanks to the Castlemaine Amcal Pharmacy for their genorous sponsorship.
- And finally, thanks to Terry Swan for his superb photo gallery at http://www.vrwc.org.au/piwigo/index.php?/category/424.
See you all in Castlemaine next year.